Coastal Resources Scientist Manager, Planning Division
450 Laurel Street, Suite 1200
Baton Rouge LA 70801
Phone Number: (225)342-4123
Email Address: Karim.Belhadjali@La.Gov
- M.S., Fisheries, Louisiana State University, 1994
- B.S., Marine Biology, Long Island University, 1991
- Program Manager for the 2012 update of the State’s Master Plan for Integrated Ecosystem Restoration and Hurricane Protection in Coastal Louisiana.
- Has been engaged with the state of Louisiana’s coastal restoration and protection program since 2000, serving as the lead ecologist for the state on a dozen of large scale wetland restoration projects constructed with federal partners. He was the Program Manager for the FY 2010 and FY 2011 Annual Plans for Integrated Ecosystem Restoration and Hurricane Protection in Coastal Louisiana.
- Prior to his current position, he served in the US Peace Corps as the Marine Fisheries Advisor to the government of Tuvalu, Central Pacific. Formulated fisheries policy including regulatory reform and fisheries management plans, to protect and conserve the marine resources of Tuvalu. Worked with island communities and other non-government organizations on guidelines for the development of community fisheries projects with particular emphasis on the sustainable use of tropical coastal marine resources. Liaised and negotiated with multilateral and bilateral agencies including South Pacific Commission, F.A.O, Forum Fisheries Agency, South Pacific Regional Environment Program, and New Zealand Ministry of External Relations and Trade.